Originally by Nathaniel Orrin, updated by Count Reglan
Some may think that the nobility in Elland are as old as time, but that isn’t the truth. The noble houses are not as old as they portray themselves to be, most of whom rose to power under the previous king Marcus.
In the Kingdom of Elland; the King is elected by the Dukes of The Northern Fifes, The Middle Kingdom, and The Southern Marches, who are in turn backed by the Counts in their areas. Whilst generally the Duke is also the Count in one of these areas that has not always been the case. A challenge can be made against the ruling King, once every three years.
In both cases, the appointment of the Dukes and the Counts is done by the King, when they are elected to the throne, or at any time whilst they are still on the throne. Edric chose to keep the same appointments made by King Marcus, but can should he wish, change who is the leader of a county, or a duchy, though not change the name of them. Proof of this is apparent with the appointment of Rhin Tamara, to Count of Caerlyn.
By law only the King can;
- Appoint a noble to the position of Count of Ironmark, more commonly known as the Chancellor of Elland.
- Appoint a noble to the position of Keeper of the Gate with the rank of Archduke, to lead the Council of Lords at the town of Gateway.
- Appoint anyone to the position of Expedition Leader. This position cannot be outranked by anyone whilst on an expedition, except the duly elected leader of the Northern Alliance.
- Improve a lord’s status, whether it be from Lord to Baron, or Count to Duke, or anything in between.
- Grant anyone the honorary rank of noble; for services to the Kingdom of Elland.
But, what they cannot do is;
- Create noble positions which change the voting regions in a monarchical election.
- Change the boundaries of a county or duchy.
- Change the monarchical election process, or constitutional aspects of the Kingdom of Elland
- Break treaties with allied nations
The King of Elland could put forward a question to the monarchical election council and with a majority vote can make a proposal which requires a second unanimous vote.
In the interests of clear understanding by all, the current monarchical council is:
The Duchy of the Northern Fifes; Your Grace, Lord Konrad of House Graben; Count of Graben, Lord Aldo of House Merrick; Count of Palamyr, and Lord Rhin of House Tamarra; Count of Caerlyn.
The Duchy of the Middle Kingdoms; Your Grace, Lord Elsbeth of House Tarren; Count of Tarren, Lord Geoffrey of House Wynne; Count of Northwyn, and Lord Cenred of House Riance; Count of Riance.
The Duchy of the Southern Marches; Your Grace, Lord Roderick of House Dorwinon; Count of Wolfnesse, Lord Gwylam of House Styrmont; Count of Styrmont, and Lord Ingrid of House Deepmoor; Count of Deepmoor.
Recently the monarchical council has ratified the treatise put forward by Lord Tyton of House Riance to allow the appointment of elves as nobles, and removal of ethrin and feralian elves from the classification of second class citizens with the Kingdom of Elland.
Upon its approval, the monarchical council allowed the ethrin and feralian elves to become Guild Members, and officially take Chair roles within the Academy of Magic.
King Edric appointed Rhin Tamara to become the first elven noble in current history, with capabilities for other nobles to be appointed within the County of Caerlyn, as required by The Honourable, Lord Rhin of House Tamara, Count of Caerlyn.
Which leads us to the titles and manner of address for nobles, which can be quite confusing. Here listed as Position, oral address, in letter salutation:
- King of Elland; Your Majesty
- King’s Consort; Your Royal Highness
- Duke; Your Grace, My Lord Duke
- Count; Your Honour, My Lord
- Baron; Your Lordship, My Lord
- Lord; My Lord
A noble has the right to knight members of their household. These knights hold rank based on who they were knighted by; thus a knight created by Edric Shadowbane would hold more rank than a knight created by Roderick Dorwinion, though somewhat less than the Duke himself.
- High Magistrate; they are judge, jury, and executioner for crimes committed in the Northern Alliance and are given full capability to do as they see fit. They should always confer with the Leader of the Vale Expeditionary Force before acting within the Vale, but that is only for courtesy.
- Low Magistrate; they are judge, and jury for crimes committed in the Northern Alliance, but cannot be executioner without bringing their findings to a High Magistrate.
In either case, Magistrates have the power to go anywhere they wish within the boundaries of Northern Alliance territories, including within the Vale, and should not be barred access. To do so, is tantamount to barring the Leader of the Northern Alliance from access.
High Magistrates currently within the Northern Alliance are:
- Savine Highmoor; Red Isles
- Osgyth Trapp; Northlands
- Salvaza Bascio; Shieldlands
- Thaamira al-Siddiqui, Theocracy
- Sir Hugh, Baron of House Orrin
- The elves named as: Akrasiel, Gabriel, Michael, Raphael, Samael, and Selaphiel.
Whilst there are numerous Low Magistrates; Castella Baptiste, a regular member of the expeditionary forces, has been appointed to serve the Northern Alliance.
It should be noted that a large part of the noble society works on the courtesy shown between the various nobles, officials, and those allowed freedom within the bounds of the Kingdom of Elland. If courtesy and respect of one’s position within this society is not shown then freedoms will be removed.
Many a lord has fallen foul of trying to gain rank through nefarious means, but have forgotten that it can only be granted from a thankful King, whilst many a subject have forgotten that they are required to be part of a House or Pride to remain a part of the Kingdom of Elland.
Food for thought I wager…